
When deciding on our house, one of the rooms that bugged me the most, aside from the kitchen, was the bathroom. The walls were painted gold, the tub and wall surround were gross and stained, the fixtures were outdated and the tile was a weird speckled beige. The whole room needed to be gutted (the toilet is actually cut into the wall to fit) but since our budget was first focused on the kitchen, I knew there was little I could do. So I bought a pretty shower curtain on sale and tried to be happy. But that wasn't enough. About two weeks went by before I started googling diy bathroom renovation, how to remove bathroom tile, diy painted tile, etc. The last search was my salvation! I found a random thread on an obscure site (which I can't even find now) that mentioned using Glidden Gripper primer on tile. I did more research and found others who used it for bathroom tile with good results and I was sold.
Steps to painting tile:
-Wash tile with soap and water to remove any residue.
-Remove any old hardware on the tile. I removed the outdated ceramic soap holder, tp holder, and towel bar.
-Do two coats of Gripper primer. I only did one but wish I'd done two.
-Paint tiles with color of your choice. Because I only did one primer coat, I had to do three coats of the white semi-gloss.
-Let paint cure for two days before hanging a tension shower rod.
Before: Don't mind the grainy iPhone photo, but this is how the bathroom looked when we did our walk through.



Along with painting the walls and tile, I added a new chrome towel holder and curtain tension rod, unboxed my favorite tp caddy, hung a vintage wine rack for hand towels, and had Cole build a towel rack using wood found in our basement. All in all, an affordable refresh that will keep us happy till we have the budget to remodel the bathroom.
Shopping list:
Wall paint: Behr, Powdered Snow WD-700, eggshell
Tile primer: Glidden, Gripper
Wall tile paint: Behr, White, semi-gloss
Chevron shower curtain: West Elm
Chrome curtain rod and towel holder: Target
Chrome towel hooks: Home Depot
Wood for chrome hooks: salvaged from our basement
WC Caddy: Urban Outfitters
Vintage wine rack: thrifted
xxMaria
No comments:
Post a Comment